Share on Google+

Steer Clear of the Deer!

I’m a little under the weather this week. My head hurts, my stomach is churning and I have to run outside every hour or so to take care of “business.” It’s all I can do to sit here at my keyboard, but I need to warn my fellow canines and their parents. If you see a deer carcass in the wild, don’t, I repeat DON’T, eat it.

If you haven’t heard, we have entered hunting season. Archery season runs for a few more weeks and then gun season starts. After killing a deer, hunters are supposed to take everything with them, but some hunters field dress the body on site leaving behind the entrails and other unwanted body parts. And boy, are they delicious!

I have a very discriminating pallet, so I like a three-day vintage. But most dogs will eat any deer carcass laying around – maggots and all. I’m pretty crafty so I usually get a good meal in before my mom catches me. And as delicious as they are, they come with a steep price, the least of which is on-leash probation.

For humans, I would compare it to chicken wings. So greasy, spicy and tasty, but you pay for it later. Except wings are meant to be eaten, and they don’t make you violently ill, AND if they do, humans can clean up after themselves…. So I guess it doesn’t really compare, but you get the idea.

My mom does her very best to keep her eye on me, but the temptation is so great that even the best trained dog can be lured away by the forbidden fruit.

My recommendation is to avoid places where hunting is allowed. It is safer in general and you are less likely to stumble upon deer remains. Tupancy is a common refuge during hunting season. Mizzenmast in Miacomet is also closed to hunting.

So stay safe this hunting season and STEER CLEAR OF THE DEER!

Now if you’ll excuse me, I don’t feel so good….

J Dawg, who voices the paws-on-the-ground perspective of island life, is created by Janet Forest, owner of Nantucket Pet Sitter, which you can follow on Facebook, too.

Comments

Dawg, this is very timely.  I, Beau, feasted twice on a dead rabbit (probably a hawk capture dropped on my own property!) and got very very sick.  My mom had to bring me to the great people at the OAH (Dr. St. Pierre, you get an extra lick on your face!) multiple times, and twice I had to have sub-cutaneous hydration (water under the skin, no fun if you know what I mean).  And a plain diet for two weeks--I too have a sensitive palate as it is. But the worst was how lethargic I was--my mom was really scared--I didn't move or follow her around or even lick her fact.  I felt AWFUL!  

So I'd say let other dogs know that any kind of dead stuff, no matter how yummy, contains toxins that can kill us.  I'm not even talking about that rabbit sickness, either.....just plain old dead bodies.

Yuck.