Purchase of the Week: 19 Union St.
By the Numbers
Address: 19 Union St.
Acres: .12 of an acre.
Structure(s): Main house.
Seller: Carolyn B. Halsey of New Canaan, Conn.
Buyer: Robert L. Roy, Trustee of 19 Union Street Nominee Trust, of Springfield, Mass.
Details: Known as the Sylvanus Ewer House, this four-bay, two-story house was built in 1803 at the toe of Quanaty Bluff by carpenter Nathan Nye who had previously purchased the land from Josiah Baker. Ewer, who moved to Nantucket from Osterville and purchased the house from Baker, was a ship carpenter who eventually saved enough money to buy part of whaleship and later became a whaling merchant and producer of whale oil and candles, according the Historic American Buildings Survey, Survey Number HABS MA-1061 done in the summer of 1970 as part of the Orange and Union Streets Neighborhood Study. Nineteen Union Street has been altered somewhat over the years from its original design including the addition of an ell for a kitchen with fireplace and expansion of the west end of the house to create more family room space
Ewer's son, Peter Ewer is known for inventing the camels, the floating dry docks used to ferry heavy whaleships over the sand bar in front of Nantucket Harbor. He is also credited with planting the milestones along Milestone Road, making the decree that his family members going forward should keep them painted white with their black mile markers on them,