It's Clean Out Your Inbox Week - Here are 10 Tips to Help!
To kick off "Clean Out Your Inbox Week" January 25 - January 29, we offer these 10 tips to help you get to "zero" by the end of this week!
1. Create e-folders to hold action items - avoid using your inbox as a "to do" list
2. Rename received e-mails so that you can search them more effectively
3. Return e-mail requests with phone calls
4. Avoid the tendency to "work" newly received e-mails if they are less important than your current project
5. Open your e-mail with the intention of sorting your new items, rather than "knocking the easy ones off"
6. Sort your e-mail in order from top to bottom or bottom to top - avoid scrolling
7. Copy only the people who REALLY need to see your message
8. Use "if/then" verbiage. e.g. "Please e-mail me if you haven't received the package" rather than "Did you receive the pkg?"
9. Turn off automatic send/receive and turn off all dings and flashes. Open your e-mail when it is right for YOU
10. Send less e-mail. The more e-mail you send, the more e-mail you'll get!